If the weather’s been very humid for a few days in a row you might notice mould starting to grow in your apartment. When it rains for several days it’s especially common to see mould start to grow on walls, benches and other surfaces because of the wet air.
If you live where humidity in the air is naturally high, such as the eastern suburbs of Sydney or another large body of water, then mould growth in your apartment can be a recurring problem. However, does this make it an owners corporation reasonability to fix.
When moisture inside your apartment evaporates into the air it increases the humidity indoors. If your apartment is not well ventilated then the humidity will stay high for a some time.
Drying clothes indoors on stands is a common culprit when it comes to causes of indoor humidity problems. Air-Conditioning systems can also create humidity troubles when it artificially heats or cools the air.
Not only does high humidity feed mould, but it means that puddles of water and damp materials in the home take longer to dry out. These wet surfaces can in turn create mould growth of their own.
Is the owners corporation responsible for the removal of mould.
The short answer is IT DEPENDS – It depends on where the mould is located and what is the cause. If the causation is due to a common property water leak then it is – if it is part of the Lots internal pipework or not a common property issue then it not.
The best way to eradicate of mould is to eliminate the conditions. Removing moisture content in the atmosphere reduces the risk of mould growth; the best way to achieve this is to create cross flow ventilation. Opening windows is the most obvious way to do this.
Once you have addressed the causation, the final step is to remove the existing mould. Once the mould is removed the surfaces should then be repainted with special mould resistant paint to prevent spores from reforming.